Independent Living

Illustration of a person using a virtual reality headset device

Adults on the spectrum can face significant challenges, many of which are caused by the fact that our communities are often not set up well to accommodate and accept differences and disabilities.

The range of experiences of adult life varies greatly, of course. In many families, a young adult is very dependent on family care and support. Other people on the spectrum live totally independently.

Adults with autism usually want the same things that everyone does: a home, job and family. Unfortunately, research indicates that young adults with ASC are more likely to remain living at home and less likely to live independently after finishing school than people with other disabilities. They are also less likely to be employed.

Transition to Adulthood

Still, the transition from adolescence to adulthood can be a difficult time for people with ASC. A study looked at the work and educational experiences of people with autism 10 years after senior school graduation, and found that young people with greater independence in daily life had better outcomes.

One study found that academically bright students with ASC had daily living skills that were ‘significantly below’ expectations for someone of their age and IQ. Parents can play a role in helping their child to make a successful transition to adulthood by teaching their child daily living skills – such as personal hygiene, domestic skills, travel training and handling money – from an early age.

Many people with ASC find their community on the Internet, since it avoids all the pitfalls of the non-verbal cues that autistic people find challenging, and have found fulfilment and empowerment by connecting, sharing their experiences, and helping their peers achieve more self-determined lives.

Obviously, there are others with ASC where living independently is not going to be an option but finding the right kind of support to enable as much independence as possible is still important.

In this part of the site we provide information on a variety of schemes, organisations and services that can support the development of independence.

Social Care

Northamptonshire County Council have an obligation under the Care Act 2014 to assess an individual for support, if they ‘appear to have any carer and support needs’.

What help can I get from adult social services?
They can provide you with help or support
-for certain physical, cognitive or age-related conditions in carrying out personal care or domestic routine
- to sustain involvement in work, education, learning, leisure and other social support system
- in building social relationships and participating fully in society

© 2024 En-Fold. All Rights Reserved.
We are registered as a charity in England and Wales (1180998)
En-Fold, 15 St Giles Street, Northampton, NN1 1JA

This website uses only strictly necessary cookies.
This type of cookie does not collect any personally identifiable information about you and does not track your browsing habits.

Disclaimer: En-Fold does not endorse treatments, interventions and therapies but lists them so people can make informed choice. This site is for information purposes only and is a starting point for readers to look into options that may fit or resonate. Remember, therapies for autism, like any condition, should be discussed with a trusted medical practitioner or certified therapist before use. All information, data and material contained, presented or provided here is for general information purposes only and is not to be construed as reflecting the knowledge or opinions of En-Fold, or as providing legal or medical advice. All treatment decisions should be made by the individual in consultation with a health care provider. Case studies provided are done so in good faith, and based on the personal experience of the individual submitting them. En-Fold are in no way endorsing the establishments that are mentioned but offering peer reviews to inform readers.